Hi! I'm Kelly! Grab something to drink and come join me!

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Poetry, Passion, Emotions, Writing Out Our Feelings

Poetry Is Serious Business

Do you have a poem that you had to memorize as a child maybe, or that you loved and it became your favorite?  I was in the 5th grade, I believe, when I had to memorize and recite  one in front of the classroom, that I still remember today.  As far as reciting it in front of the class, well that was another story!  Anytime I had to get up in front of a group of people and do ANYTHING, I would break out in hives from head to toe!  :+)  I don't mean just a little red...I mean I was as red as a beet, RED!!  Added to my red hair, I'm sure it was quite a beautiful sight to see (ha-ha), on top of stuttering with nervousness as I tried to recite my poem without running in fear from the classroom!  LOL!  At any rate, here is the poem I have remembered all these years.

"The Swing"
by Robert Lewis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing,Up in the air so blue?
Oh I do think it's the pleasantest thing,
Ever a child can do!
Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--
Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roofs so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!!

"Poetry is not just a means to moral instruction.  It is part of the humanities.  Poetry is one of those human things with which Charlotte Mason wished children to establish a relationship.  It is a deep expression of thought and feeling of which certain exceptional minds are particularly capable.  Poetry comments on all human experiences, it is comprised of everything from war poems and epics, to psalms of worship, to love sonnets to delightful nonsense that trips off the tongue, to nursery rhymes.  The subjects for poetry can be anything that people think about or sing about.   We can read it as though we ourselves shared in those thoughts and those emotions."
                                                                                                                       Karen Andreola


The path in your life,                                                           
may never be straight.
Contain bumps and curves,
where many are great.

Your personal experiences,
have shaped who you are.
Embrace your mistakes,
and each unique scar.

There's always new things,                                
in life we may learn.
With every page,
and chapter we turn.

There's just one simple,
but very important rule.
Your passion for life,
should be used as your fuel.

by anitapoems.com 



*Poetry is one of those subjects that can be done in a short time, and can be done together as a family, or individually.  You can also use it for narration if you wish, for writing class (learning the different poetry styles), and also for grammar purposes, or simply for pure enjoyment!  It is something that can be done every day, or simply once or twice per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment